LEARNING HOW TO SKI
For new skiers the most important step in assuring fun, success and safety is taking a lesson with a qualified professional instructor. Timberline’s trained professional ski instructors guide beginning skiers through simple steps that lead to the mastery of basic skiing techniques. Although each and every skier is different, most folks will learn the essentials ( balancing, gliding, stopping, turning and speed control ) in 1 to 3 hours of instruction.
IMPROVING YOUR SKIING
The secret to becoming a great skier is skiing better, one step at a time. The best skiers know that perfecting ski technique is an on-going process, and there’s always room for improvement. And regardless of your level, improving your skills will make skiing more fun. One of the keys to skiing better is instruction with a trained professional. Not just someone who ski great, but someone who is also trained to help to achieve your goals
The Timberline Ski School uses the American Teaching System and the Skill level designations developed by the Professional Ski Instructors of America (PSIA). Skills described for each level should be fully developed before moving to the next level.
- Level 1: For the new skier-includes the basics: Putting skis on and taking them off, walking, stopping, turning on very gentle slopes, riding the lift.
- Level 2 : Developing better control and putting more turns together before stopping. Making different sized turns at varying speeds on gentle slopes.
- Level 3: Moving on to the mountain using beginner ( Green) trails. Controlling speed by turn shape. Introduction to parallel turns.
- Level 4: Developing and improving the parallel turn. Skiing easy blue trails.
- Level 5: Refining the parallel turn and developing pole swing and touch. Skiing all blue trails
- Level 6: Full developed parallel turn with pole touch. Refining rhythm and building confidence to ski more advanced trails.
- Level 7: Refining all skills. Able to use parallel turns on most difficult ( black ) trails in varying conditions.
- Level 8 : Making the parallel turn dynamic. Skiing bumps and powder. Developing skiing tactics to match conditions.
- Level 9: Fully developed skiing skills for all terrain and all conditions. Explore elegant and functional skiing styles.
Daily Lesson Times:
- Daily: 10am, 11:30am and 1:30pm
- 3pm lesson on Fridays and Saturdays when night skiing is offered.
Sign ups begin at 8am Friday – Monday and 9am Tuesday – Thursday at the Ski School Desk and we suggest coming early on holidays and busy weekends.
Introductory Package for skiing, snowboarding, and telemarking:
Available Sunday through Friday, excluding holidays.
- Regular Season $52
- Early/Late Season $45
The introductory package includes beginner's lesson, rentals and beginner's chair lift ticket only.
Group Lessons Group lessons are available in all levels for adults and children 7 & over. Each lesson is for an hour and is grouped by the level of ability of the students. All lessons are instructed by one of our qualified professional instructors.
- I hour Group Lesson $30.00
The secret to becoming a great skier or snowboard is taking it one step at a time. The first step is learning from a professional instructor trained to help achieve your goals. We recommended a private lesson for anyone that wants that individual attention and children 6 & under that are not enrolled in our children's programs.
- Children 6 & under 1 hour $55.00
- 1 Hour private Lesson $85.00 one person $75.00 for second person
- Half Day (2 ½ hours) $145.00 one person $125.00 for second person
America's National Standard Race offers the thrill of racing for all ages. Racers can win Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze medals and may qualify for state or national ranking. NASTAR is offered Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Monday, 12:00 – 2:00, & Sunday 11:00 – 1:00 during regular season. Sign-up is at the top of the race course on Lower Thunderstruck.
- Registration Fee & One Run: $7 Additional Runs: $1 each
MAKE SURE YOUR CHILD IS READY
Dress your child properly:
Snow pants, warm mittens, hat and neck gaitors are a must Goggles are recommended. Helmets are your choice. No scarves please. Labels all belongings, including skis
Please be on time. We cannotattend to Timber Adventure children before 10 am or after 3 pm. We cannot attend to Mountain Safari children before 9:30 am or after 3:30pm.
Prepare your child for the day ahead by explaining to them that you will return for them at the end of their lessons. This is extremely important for younger children who are left in a new place with unfamiliar staff
Children are responsible for their own equipment. Beginners will not use poles.
Timber Adventure and Mountain Safari are ski programs, not child care.
Lessons are held regardless of the weather
Only beginner classes stay close to the lodge. More advanced classes ski the entire mountain. Your child may be riding lifts with other children or other Timberline guests. The instructor cannot ride up with every child.
Bring to our attention any special needs your child has, such as allergies, medical instructions ect. We reserve the rights to refuse lessons to children with uncontrollable behavior · Lunch includes a variety of hot and or cold items.
Open to children 4 to 7 years of age. This all day, full service program provides coaching with specially trained instructors, ski equipment, lift pass, lunch and lots of supervised ski time in an all day format. Timber Adventure sessions last from 10:00am to 3:00pm, freeing parents to enjoy a day of skiing on their own.
This program runs Friday through Monday and Holiday Season.
- One Day: $118.00
- Two Day: $178.00
- Three Day: $248.00
This all day program is targeted to 8 to 12 years of age. Mountain Safari groups emphasize a more intensive ski experience designed for the older child. Both experienced and beginning skiers are welcome in Mountain Safari. Enrollment includes all day coaching, ski equipment, lift pass and lunch. Mountain Safari sessions last from 9:30am to 3:30pm. This program runs Friday through Monday and Holiday Season.
- One Day: $138.00
- Two Day: $208.00
- Three Day: $288.00
Child Care Center:
An all day care facility is on site, to entertain the youngest member of your party. Child care is available seven days a week from 8:30am to 4:30pm for most of the season. All day, half day, and hourly sessions are available for children of all ages.
- All Day with Lunch: $55.00
- ½ Day: $30.00
- By the hour: $8.00